Oceanographic Science and Technology Certificate - Online
This graduate certificate program is designed to train engineers and environmental scientists in Ocean Science & Technology. The overall focus is on the environmental factors, design challenges, and corresponding analysis with direct applications to the growing fields of marine technology, ocean engineering, and marine renewable energy. Four courses are included in the certificate curriculum, two in marine sciences and two in engineering. This is a partnership between the School of Engineering (SoE) and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) led by Evan Ward and Mike Whitney from Marine Science and Rich Christensen from the School of Engineering.
- Underwater Acoustics and Sensing Systems
- Ocean Fluid Dynamics
- Underwater Sensor Systems Analysis and Design
- Oceanographic Data Analysis
The program is designed to pair well with the schedules of working professionals. Students complete a 12-credit set of online courses in Marine Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical & Computer Engineering. These courses build competency in ocean fluid dynamics, oceanographic data analysis, underwater acoustics, and underwater sensing systems analysis and design.
Students completing the certificate will be able to:
- Understand the scientific programming and statistical, frequency, spatial, and dynamic analysis in an oceanographic context
- Understand the sound and acoustic applications in the ocean
- Describe factors affecting sound propagation in the ocean, simulate beam patterns, implement signal processing modules, and determine sonar detection ranges
- Describe the parameters affecting underwater system performance, master techniques to analyze sensing systems, simulate effects of changing design parameters, and design an underwater system to meet specifications.
Click HERE to view the Oceanographic Science & Technology Plan of Study.
This current MENG program is not eligible for UConn visa sponsorship. Please contact ISSS for more information regarding programs that allow UConn visa sponsorship.
Applicants requiring UConn visa sponsorship should contact ISSS at firstname.lastname@example.org to see if their intended MENG program is eligible for a student visa.